If you prefer you can just freeze in your jars.
I just love making this recipe and enjoy eating with the family. When serving just add mayonnaise.
This can be canned or frozen. Also this chart will help with amounts.
- 1 large head of cabbage. I prefer to use savoy cabbage but the choice of cabbage is yours. You may want to add a little red cabbage just for colour and interest.
- 1 salad onion.
- 2 large carrots.
- 2 large tart apples.
- 1 large red pepper/capsicum.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 2 cups 5 % vinegar.
- 2 cups water.
- 3/4 cup of sugar,you can add more if you wish to.
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds or less if you prefer.
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds or less if you prefer.
Place into a bowl and add salt.
Boil for one minute and pour over your coleslaw.
Pack tightly into quart jars and water bath for 25 minutes quarts, 15 for pints.
Remove air bubbles with the ball headspace tool and make sure you have 1 inch headspace.
Wipe rims and place warmed not boiled disks on jars and screw on the rings finger tight.
Place jars into the basket and lower into you water bath always making sure your jars have been kept hot so not to crack them.
Bring your water bath to a rolling boil and time your jars for 15 minutes for pints.
When the time is up turn off and leave the jars to rest in the water bath for 5 minutes before removing them with your jar grabber.
Place your jars onto a thick cloth away from draughts and small fingers.
12 hours later check for good seals wash and date.
Store in a cool dark place for up to 1 year.